University of Saskatchewan



"In August we left Toronto, travelling by train (the Hudson Bay Railroad had just been built) through Winnipeg to Churchill, and then by ship to the North. Like other people when they first visit Churchill, I crossed over the river to the old ship cove at Ft. Prince of Wales, which was no longer in use. Sailing ships in earlier times were able to come up the river, and the crews usually wrote their names on the rocks. Among these interesting records are inscriptions by the crews of the Furnace and the Discovery in 1741. The Canadian Shield, especially around Hudson Bay, rises about a foot every century, so that in modern times this little cove would not allow any kind of sailing ship in at all; so it may be called one of the historic bits of scenery, if you like. There are many names marked on the rocks above - including Samuel Hearne, and others."

- Frank Davies

Churchill Elevator (1932).

Buildings, [Chesterfield and/or Churchill].

Letter from Currie to
Dr. Harrington:

August 3, 1932
Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

Currie photo of Churchill.

Reverse side of Currie photo.

View of Churchill.

Robert Smith 1776 Inscription on Rock.

Ship's Names of 1741 Inscribed on Rock.

Samuel Hearne's 1767 Inscription on Rock, Churchill.

Tug Ocean Eagle, towing the scow Neophyte.

"We were to leave on the Ocean Eagle, an ocean-going tub commanded by a Captain Poole. We towed a big barge called the Neophyte, and the supplies she carried from the railroad were not just our own but also for a number of stations up north."

- Frank Davies


Fort Prince of Wales:

Fort Prince of Wales was a Hudson's Bay Company post on the west coast of Hudson Bay. Samuel Hearne used it as a base during the 1760's as he led expeditions in search of northern mineral deposits and the North West Passage.


Fort Prince of Wales (1932).

[Ft. Prince of Wales].

Canon, "Ft. Prince of Wales."


Previous - Staff | Next - ...& Arrival

© 2002, University of Saskatchewan Archives