1997: Nobel Plaza
As part of the University’s 90th anniversary celebrations, a
Nobel Plaza, honouring the two laureates connected to the U of S, was
constructed during the summer of 1997.
The project was funded by the Meewasin Foundation and designed in
partnership with the University. Two
bronze plaques dedicated to the accomplishments of Gerhard Herzberg, member of faculty from
1935 to 1945, and Henry Taube, a graduate (BSc. 1935, MSc. 1937), were unveiled
in a dedication ceremony on October 24.
The Plaza, which replaced the parking lot on the bowl side of the
College Building, was designed to have the minimal visual impact on the front
facade of the College Building, which had previously been declared a
provincial heritage site. The Plaza consists of a pedestrian concourse
with a stone clad speaker’s podium faced with bronze plaques.1 This not the first time the two men had
been honoured by the U of S. Drs.
Herzberg and Taube had each received honorary degrees from the U of S, the
former in 1953 and the latter in 1973.
Herzberg’s 1971 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded for “his
contributions to the knowledge of electronic structure properties of molecules,
particularly free radicals.” Taube’s
1983 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded “for his studies of the mechanisms of
electron transfer reactions particularly of metal complexes.”
1997a: Nobel Plaza Opening Ceremony. University Secretary's Office. - RG 2009. - 2000-013.
1997b: Nobel Plaza Opening Ceremony. University Secretary's Office. - RG 2009. - 2000-013.
On Campus News, 10 Jan and 17 Oct. 1997.