1994: Hangar Building Demolished
May of 1994 saw the destruction of a campus landmark. The Hangar Building, used during World War
II as an air force training facility at Dafoe, Saskatchewan, was dismantled and
reassembled on campus in 1948.1
This “temporary” structure cost the University $156,560.00 and in its
five decades housed Commerce, Drama and Art.
The shingle clad wooden structure was of post and beam construction on a
concrete slab base. Although it was
cold, drafty, subject to flooding and rodent infestations, many lamented its
passing. For a number of years the College
of Commerce presented to their associate donors ($1,000 or more) a framed
shingle as a memento of the building that played a significant role in the
college’s history and development.2
The foot print of the Hangar Building was converted to 70 electrified
parking spaces in the faculty-staff parking lot R.
1994a: Hangar BuildingFlood, 1953, Photograph Collection, A-3057.
1994b: Hangar BuildingDemolition, 1994, Photograph Collection, A-3651.
1994c: Hangar BuildingDemolition, 1994, Photograph Collection, A-3651.
1. Green and White, Fall 1994.
2. Appraisement of the University of Saskatchewan,