1946: Enrolment Soars
After a decade and a half of living from one crisis to another, the
University emerged into a flurry of activity in 1946. The student population exploded with returning soldiers. In the
fall of 1944 enrolment was 1,530 and by 1946 it was 4,195. The University acted quickly to accommodate
the sudden influx. Some students were
housed at the former RCAF training base near the Saskatoon Airport and a number
of temporary (surplus military) buildings were hastily built on campus. The Chemistry and Physics Annexes were
located on the north end of campus, the Hangar Building on the south side. The annexes were initially erected to
accommodate the overflow from Chemistry, Pharmacy and Physics, but these
“temporary structures” were to remain on campus for decades housing various
colleges and departments including Home Economics, Commerce, Fine Arts and
To facilitate future expansion, permanent structures were either under
construction or planned. The
cornerstone of the Medical College was laid by Premier Douglas on 26th
of August and the Engineering addition was nearing completion. Plans for a new School of Agriculture,
Animal Disease Laboratory and Gymnasium were announced.1 After years of getting by and making do, the
University of Saskatchewan was moving toward a new horizon. With victory had come a sense of a new
Facilities Management fonds, RG 2015.
Forces - Community Apartments, [ca. 1946]. Photograph Collection, A-3831.
1946b: Greystone, 1946.
Office fonds, RG 2001, Series II, B.205.
BuildingCorner stone laying, 1946.
Photograph Collection, A-6733.
1. Annual Report, 1946-1947.