Brati Moyi!" "Learn, My Brothers!"
Read and ponder. Learn.
Receive from others
But your own never spurn.
Love of learning
characterized the life of the Ukrainian settler. Continuing
the tradition of co-operatives and self-help groups
to accomplish cultural and educational aims as in Ukraine,
the early pioneers organized classes in newly-formed
parishes. They used the means they had to teach their
children to read the Cyrillic alphabet and perpetuate
formation of school districts, some with after-school
sessions for Ukrainian language, brought educational
interests to the foreground. was useful. Teachers organized
as well; the first conference of Ukrainian teachers
in Saskatchewan took place in 1910. 1915, six students
of Ukrainian descent were at Canadian universities.
However, attempts within Saskatchewan to assimilate
the “New Canadians” through the promotion
of British ideals, particularly after the 1914 –1918
War, had to be counterbalanced by the formation of live-in
Institutes for young students, a main one being the
Petro Mohyla Institute formed in Saskatoon in 1916 The
Institutes (located in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
and Toronto) provided a place for a student to receive
room and board, and continue with his or her higher
education while interacting with others within the Ukrainian
culture, and, of course, making friends with other young
Stechishin was the first Ukrainian woman graduate from
University of Saskatchewan. Both she and her husband,
Julian Stechishin, were much involved with the Institute,
the church and intellectual pursuits. An important development
in education involved the formation of various cultural
organizations, including museum work within the Ukrainian
Women’s Association of Canada, various Ukrainian
youth organizations and religious-political organizations,
which provided fertile ground for Ukrainian ethnic consciousness.
Through academic friends of the Ukrainian community,
such as Professor George Simpson, steps were taken to
formalize Slavic Studies at the University of Saskatchewan.
In 1944, Professor
T. K. Pavlychenko, a botanical engineer, taught the
first course of Ukrainian studies in language and literature
at a Canadian University. The first-ever department
of Slavic Studies in Canada was formed at the University
of Saskatchewan in 1948. In 1952, Ukrainian language
became a regular high school subject in Saskatchewan.
then, education has remained a notable field for Ukrainian-Canadians,
with a rich contribution of University faculty who have
been Ukrainian origin, vast numbers of Ukrainian-Canadian
students who have been educated here over the years,
and academic exchanges between the University of Saskatchewan
and Ukrainian universities. In 1976 a ten-foot high,
bronze statue of Lesya Ukrainka, the celebrated Ukrainian
poetess, was presented to the University of Saskatchewan
by the Association for Cultural Relations with Ukrainians
Abroad of the USSR as a gift of friendship from the people of Ukraine to the people