City of Regina Archives Photograph Collection, CORA-RPL-B-208
Title: Assiniboia Club
Date: 1911
Retrieval Number: CORA-RPL-B-208
Extent: 1 B&W print; 20.5 cm x 25 cm
Scope and Content Note: Assiniboia Club on Victoria Avenue between Hamilton and Rose Streets
Access Restrictions: None
Photographer: Unknown
Parent fonds/collection: Waddell Collection of the RPL Photograph Collection
Historical Note: The Assiniboia Club was once one of Regina 's most exclusive men's clubs. It began in 1882 as the Musical Club, but in 1883 changed its name to the Assiniboia Club. This made it one of western Canada 's oldest private clubs. All of the territorial leaders and premiers for the province of Saskatchewan have been members, as well as all of the Lieutenant-Governors and all of Regina 's mayors. The club moved three times during the first years of its existence. Its first address was at the corner of 12 th Avenue and Hamilton Street . The second home of the club was at the northwest corner of 12 th Avenue and Scarth Street . This second building was demolished to make way for the McCallum Hill Building . The last home of the Assiniboia Club was 1925 Victoria Avenue . A new building was constructed to house the club in 1912. The club remained at that site until its closure in 1994. The building's lower floor now houses Danbry's restaurant. The upper floors of the building have been home to a revitalized version of the Assiniboia Club, which is now a private business club.



[ back ]

Home | Contact Us

Visit the City of Regina Archives Web site

© Copyright - All photos are public domain unless otherwise indicated.