For three decades, ParticipACTION was most fortunate to have the
commitment and dedication of numerous, talented individuals: Board
members, staff, contracted specialists, suppliers and literally
thousands of friends and colleague volunteers at the community level
all across Canada. In addition there was the support of corporate
sponsors, governments at all levels, and thousands of mass media
outlets and personnel. All were considered part of the ParticipACTION
“family”, and each was greatly appreciated!
It is not an exaggeration to state that most of these thousands
of dedicated individuals exceeded expectations in their commitment
to the spirit of ParticipACTION and a healthier, more active Canada.
There are too many to list, but they know who they are and can
take pride in the success they helped to achieve. As a representation
however, following are the Chairs of the ParticipACTION Board of
Directors over the years:
- Rt. Hon. Lester B. Pearson (Ottawa) 1971-72
- Mr. Philippe de Gaspé Beaubien (Montreal) 1973-77
- Ms. Barbara D. Hughes (Windsor, NS) 1977-82
- Mr. James K. Struthers (Saskatoon) 1982-86
- Mr. Richard H. Oland (Saint John) 1986-93
- Mr. J. Charles Caty (Oakville) 1993-2000
- Ms. Marilyn Knox (Toronto) 2000-present
The longest serving (over 25 years) ParticipACTION Director was
Dr. Donald Bailey (Saskatoon).