Located at 950 Spadina Crescent East in Saskatoon, the Mendel Art Gallery
officially opened on October 16th, 1964. It was named in honour of Frederich Salomon
Mendel, the founder of Intercontinental Packers. Mendel was a European businessman
born in Recklingshausen, West Germany in 1888. He fled Nazi Germany, arriving in
Saskatoon in 1939 with a portion of his collection of 20th century paintings.
A supporter of local art associations and artists, Mendel contributed both financially
and with a portion of his collection to the building of the new Saskatoon Art Centre,
which was later named the Mendel Art Gallery in his honour. The collection he donated
included significant works by German Expressionists and numerous works from local
Saskatchewan artists. Mendel received the Order of Canada in 1974 in recognition of
his contributions to the arts community.